Thursday, December 21, 2006

Holiday wishes in different languages

This year I sent some Christmas cards abroad and decided to write the wishes in the reader's language. For now I had to limit myself to simple 'Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year', maybe next time I will be able write something more. It's always good to use opportunities like this to learn something new. Here are the translations I used:

Dutch - Zalig Kerstfeest en Gelukkig Nieuwjaar
Polish - Wesołych Świąt i Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku
Portuguese - Feliz Natal e Próspero Ano Novo

And here you can find many more (some of them with audio clips if you want to learn how to pronounce them), as well as translation of other phrases, like 'Happy Birthday' and ' This gentleman/lady will pay for everything' (wonder how often that comes in handy).

No comments: